Remo Susanna Jr is Professor at the University of São Paulo, Head of Glaucoma Service, Department of Ophthalmology HC-FMUSP in São Paulo, Brazil. In the past he has acted as president of the World Glaucoma Organization (2009-2010). He is president and founder of the Latin America Glaucoma Society (2000-2008), president of Pan American Glaucoma Society as well as a member of the board of Glaucoma Research Society. Furthermore he is member of the International Committee and the International Advocacy Committee of ARVO. He is also member and governor of the International Society for Imaging in the Eye, a member of the Von Graefe Glaucoma Society.
He acts as a reviewer for the following medical journals:
British Journal of Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology, Journal of Glaucoma, Investigative Review Journal, Drugs & Aging, Acta Ophthalmologica, International Glaucoma Review, Ophthalmology Journal, American Journal of Ophthalmology, Clinics journal, Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia , Revista Brasileira de Oftalmologia.
Remo Susanna has published 180 papers in Latin America, and 70 papers in the US and Europe. He has held 520 lectures and is author of 32 book chapters. Remo has published the following books:
- Answers in Glaucoma: English, Spanish, Portuguese and Mandarin ( second edition)
- The optic nerve in glaucoma -English and Portuguese (second edition )
- Atlas: Ophthalmic Signs of Glaucoma Optic Neuropathy -Portuguese
- Perimetry in glaucoma -Portuguese (2nd edition)
- Glaucoma surgery - Portuguese
- Glaucoma - Portuguese
- The Glaucomas: Manual of The Brazilian Council of Ophhtalmology
- Glaucoma Treatment and Diagnosis
Remo served on the Faculty and Advisory Boards of the following companies: Alcon, Allergan, Merck and Pfizer.
He has received several awards:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award
- International Scholar Award, New York NY.
- World Glaucoma Association Award
- LIDE: One of the most distinguished medical doctors in Brazil
- Brazilian Congress Medal: For the outstanding contribution in glaucoma for the Brazilian people and glaucoma scientific knowledge